Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We're Together like Leather, Forever...


“We’re together like leather, forever”

You slipped away without a good-bye
Tears I hold in but I cannot hide
You left so suddenly leaving me wanting to say so much
But more than anything I long for your embrace or even your touch
The pain in my soul feels like a vice that is constricting any peace I may seek
It leaves me wounded and paralyzed and completely weak.
I hold to the hope that you will be there and we’ll be together,
Finally after so long, “We’re together like leather, forever.”

I watched as your family struggled through their sadness and pain
The memories of your love for your girls are all that remains.
I saw the details that were executed with precision and class,
from the colors of your flowers to the most uplifting mass.
I saw you but did not want to remember you this way,
But I saw that you looked peaceful where you lay.
I made a promise that I intend to keep and never sever
Until we can finally meet again when “we’re together like leather, forever.”

Your best friends, your brothers stood as knights surrounding you with love and eternal strength,
Shrouding me with the love I always wanted to feel from you but you always kept me at arms length.
You have always protected me from your world
For you always saw me as your baby sister, a little girl.
But I long stopped being a girl about 10 years ago when I moved out on my own.
I used your lessons in life and grew a skin as thick as stone.
I know you are protecting us from here to wherever,
For “We are together like leather, forever.”

You have left this Earth in your hasty farewell,
We will always have the memories for us to share and tell.
But until we meet again my brother, always remember,
“We’re together like leather, forever.”

Laura Hidalgo

No comments:

Post a Comment